Monday, January 11, 2010

Katy 3rd Ward Giving Tree

One of the highlights this Christmas season for me was being in charge of the giving tree for our ward at church. Each year our ward provides gifts for people who live in the Seally Branch and any within our ward who are struggling this Christmas time. I was asked to be in charge of it this year and found it to be a marvelous experience for me and my family. We were given a list of 117 gifts. We made ornaments which had a gift listed on each ornament. These were placed on a tree and the members then were able to choose which ones they would like to buy the present for. The bishop and Relief Society president were really worried that 117 presents was asking a lot of our members. But I actually never worried about that. It was amazing to me to see the stars pulled quickly off the tree and people saying that if there was extra to let them know and they could do more. It was incredible!! And then the gifts started arriving! I was really humbled by the entire experience. Some of these families just asked for warm clothes for their families. Someone asked for new underwear and socks. I was humbled by the requests and humbled by the generosity of others. It was a great way for me to truly feel of the Christmas spirit. I have told them I would be more than willing to do it next year and hope that happens!


This is the back of the suburban once it was loaded with all the gifts. It was packed full!! It was such a beautiful sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment